Chia Pudding at the Beach!
I’m sure most of your ears are already bleeding from overhearing the word “Chia” over the last year or so, since it became a superfood fad along with the hipsters who swear by it. However, let me tell you this: them hipsters know what they’re on about.
I’m not even going to repeat all the Google benefits about Chia seeds- instead I’ll tell you what I have personally observed: A bowl of chia pudding in the morning legit gives me super energy. Of course I add other things to it too, but bottom line, I feel like the Tasmanian Devil (the cute Looney Toons one), for the next 6 hours. My energy levels are through the roof, my productivity is at its best, and I feel FULL for the next 6 hours.
After 6 hours though, I feel like I assume my phone does when it’s battery is critically low. And then I need food right away, RIGHT AWAY. Then again, that’s not very alarming coming from me because I usually need food right away all day everyday. So, 6 hours of feeling full and energetic is quite a feat for me.
The beauty of Chia seeds or Chia pudding is that in addition to be being a nutritious wonder-food that swells up to 10 times it’s size inside your stomach- hence keeping you full, all the while releasing energy- is that they possibilities of flavor combos is virtually limitless.
You need just 3 essentials:
-Milk or coconut water
– A sweetener.
All you have to do is mix all three ingredients, leave them in the fridge overnight, and you will literally wake up to a ready breakfast. Sprinkle some nuts on top, cut up some fresh fruit and you have yourself a REALLY healthy and power packed breakfast!
I will share my 2 favorite Chia seed recipes just to give an idea of how it’s made, and then you can play around with it as much as you want!
Coconut and Mango Salsa Chia Seed Pudding:
– 1/3rd cup Chia seeds
– 1 can coconut milk
– 2 tablespoons of desiccated coconut
-1 ripe, sweet mango
– Honey or Agave nectar to sweeten. You can use as much or as little as you prefer. I usually add a couple of tablespoons only.
Method: Mix all the ingredients except the mango, cover in cling film, and refrigerate overnight. When you’re ready to serve, chop u some mangos, toss them with chopped fresh basil, dollop on top and voila! you’re good to go! I usually serve this in small tapas style quantities when I have guests over for brunch or breakfast.
My other favorite is the Ultimate Power Punch! This is what I have when I’m in the mood for Spring cleaning at 7am!
Ultimate Power Punch
– 2 tablespoons chia seeds
– 1 heaping tablespoon of milled flaxseed. (Milled is easier to digest and absorb)
– 1 cup milk (dairy or non-dairy, whatever you prefer)
– 2-3 Sukkary dates, depending on how sweet you want it to be. (I prefer Sukkary dates over Mejdool because they are much softer and mushier and just amazing!)
-1 teaspoon Acai berry powder (optional)
– Flesh of a young coconut*
– Sunflower seeds*
– Bee Pollen*
– Any other nuts, seeds or fresh fruit your heart desires!
* All the garnishing is optional. I always wing it with whatever I have in my fridge/freezer/pantry.
1. Mix all the Ingredients together and refrigerate overnight. You can mix and shake these ingredients in an almost empty jar of Peanut Butter, Nutella, or Jam even, if you hate wastage of even a morsel of food as much as I do!
IT IS AS. SIMPLE. AS THAT!! You guys have NO excuse not to start your day with a healthy breakfast anymore!!!
If you’re hungry for a quick midday snack and don’t have the patience to wait even 15 minutes, then you can even go for the below:
Rice cake, Nut Butter and Chia jam.
I smeared some pumpkin butter on a crispy apple flavored rice cake, added a layer of some St.Dalfour jam (it’s amazing ok. no added sugar!!), sprinkled Chia seeds and flaxmeal on top, and voila. You can also make your own Chia jam at home, recipe here : http://passmethedimsum.com/2015/07/12/raspberry-chia-jam/
Summery Chia Breakfast Bowl:
- 1 tablespoon Chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon Flaxmeal
- 1 tablespoon Pumpkin seed & Sunflower seed powder
- 1 teaspoon basil seeds
- 1/4 cup low fat milk
- 1/2 mango, cubed
- 4-5 strawberries, sliced
- Handful of blueberries
- Mix everything except the berries and leave in the fridge for 15 minutes. You can add a sweetener at this point but I didn’t feel the need to.
- Top with the fruits and enjoy!
Chia later, lovlies!! ( See what I did there?)