Last time I went to Bahrain, my aunt (who never ceases to impress with her culinary skills and her loving hospitality), made us Mughlai Kulfa from scratch. Kulfa is a rich, fragrant ice cream with almonds and pistachios, of Mughal origins. It used to be made with ice brought from the Himalayas! It is traditionally made by slow cooking and evaporating milk with almost continuos stirring. My aunt”s recipe, however, is MUCH easier and it was the BEST Kulfa any of us had ever had.
So, I asked her for the recipe and she was kind enough to give it to me in meticulous detail. I decided to make it for Eid, and here’s how:
- 140g can of Rainbow cardamom flavored evaporated milk, chilled
- 2 teaspoons cardamom powder
- 2 cans Nestle Condensed milk, (caramelized by boiling the cans in water for 5-6 hours)
- 1 160g can of nestle original cream
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 1/4 cup pistachios, chopped
- 2 slices of white bread, ground up.
- Whisk the evaporated milk with the cardamom powder till it doubles in volume.
- Add in the cooled, caramelized condensed milk and the cream and continue whisking.
- Mix in the bread, almonds and pistachios.
- Mix well, cover and place in the freezer for 1 hour.
- Remove from freezer, give it a good mix, then put it back in the freezer for another hour.
- Repeat Step 5 three to four times, as you want to keep the nuts from settling to the bottom.
- Finally freeze for 3-4 hours and it should be ready 🙂
Can you believe how easy it is?
Do give it a try and leave a comment below to let me know what you thought of it 🙂