With all the restaurant tastings and the week-long trip to my momma’s house, there’s nothing M and I wanted more than a light, refreshing salad on this scorching hot summer afternoon. And then when rawmanda.com showed up on my Instagram feed this morning, I knew it just HAD to be done.
One of my favorite discoveries this summer was the Watermelon and Feta Salad. I first had it at The Pantry Cafe and it was one of those very simple yet brilliant marriage of flavors that makes you wonder “Hey, why didn’t I think of that???” The sweetness of the watermelon, alternated with the saltiness of the feta, and my take on this ties these two together with peppery arugula and tart balsamic…..I think I’ve already made my case, haven’t I?
A quick trip to the nearby supermarket, and 15 minutes later, I was one very happy duck.
This is literally all it took:
Watermelon, Feta and Arugula Salad.
- Arugula leaves
- Watermelon, cubed (the sweeter, the better)
- Feta cheese (I bought the kind that was marinated in mint oil, and then I tossed it in Zaatar spice)
- 1 shallot, cut in lengthwise in fine slivers
- A drizzle of my Basic Balsamic Dressing, minus the black pepper. I funked it up a little by adding a spoon of my Fortnum & Mason marmalade that I can't seem to get enough of, but frankly it was a little over the top and unnecessary.
- A few roughly chopped pecans, for textural contrast.........and when are pecans ever unwelcome, really?
- Arrange it all nicely onto a flat plate if the salad is to be followed by an entree. Drizzle Balsamic Dressing on top. Bon Appetite. OR
- Double everything. Dump it all into a bowl. Give it a good toss. Add quinoa, chia seeds and Flaxmeal if you’re turning it into a meal.