What’s good right now? The weather is still fantabulous in Dubai, and the DSF is officially on. The desire to cook up a storm is on the down low though, post all the turkeys and pies and lots of cleaning up. What does one (and by one I mean I) do when one desires an extremely delicious, hot, quick, burn-yo-mouth-spicy, high-protein meal? One makes my momma’s Lahori Chicken Karahi.
Chicken Karahi is a mind-boggling dish because it is SO flavorful yet it hardly takes 20 mins to make. Karahi can also be made with goat, but we all know how I feel about goat. There are many ways to make Chicken Karahi, but the way my momma makes it is my favorite, and she has received many an accolades for it (read: my grandma’s nod of approval).
While this dish can be made with boneless chicken as well, please refer to my grandma’s sermon # 264 : Thou shall not be able to replicate the deep flavor that comes from bones and bones alone, with any number of spices and herbs. So, if you’re like me and like to eat only chicken breasts, I suggest using a small chicken with bones, and add an extra large boneless chicken breast just for yourself. This way, you’ll have your boneless chicken, and it will still absorb some of the flavor from the bones.
For this recipe, I used an 800 gram chicken, cut into 8 pieces, and about another 200 grams of chicken breast cut into golf ball sized pieces. It’s very important for the chicken pieces to be small (that’s why I used an 800 gram chicken), because this dish is made on high heat, in a wok, and you want the chicken to cook quickly. This dish is for those people who love a lot of flavor but don’t want any curry, and is therefore very protein-diet friendly as you can wipe clean a pot of this without any bread.
Here’s the recipe:
My Momma’s Lahori Chicken Karahi
- 1 whole chicken, 800 grams, cut into 10-12 pieces. I like to remove the skin to make it healthier.
- 1 large tomato
- 1 medium sized onion
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 fresh green chilies, chopped (skip these if you’re weak at heart)
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- 1 tsp ginger paste
- 3 tbs Canola oil
- Ginger, julienned
- Fresh chopped cilantro
- Fresh chopped green chilis
- Lime Juice
- Dump all the ingredients except the tomatoes, green chilies and cilantro into a wok on high heat
- Stir fry on high heat until the chicken starts to brown
- Throw in tomatoes and give them a toss for a few minutes
- Turn off heat, mix in cilantro and green chilies
- Garnish with a bit of whatever you’d like.
- Serve with a cumin and yogurt dip to cool the heat and thank me later.